Craving a hearty bowl of comfort that isn’t packed with carbs? This low sodium no bean chili is a delicious, healthy, and super easy recipe!
Chili is one of my favorite comfort foods. Who can resist a bowl of rich ground beef, hearty vegetables, and just the right spices?
When I’m in the mood for a healthy meal that’s still super satisfying, this low sodium no bean chili is my go-to! It’s wonderfully filling but doesn’t leave me feeling heavy afterwards. Plus it’s downright delicious!
I also love that the entire recipe comes together in just one pot on the stove. Add all the ingredients, let everything simmer, and then dig in. It can be ready in 40 minutes, but you can simmer it longer if you want an even deeper flavor.
A lot of people assume you need beans for a good chili recipe. But if beans seem like empty filler to you, then a bean-free chili like this one is going to be your new favorite! Who needs legumes when you have wonderful ground beef?
Whether you’re cooking for gameday or just in the mood for a good cup of chili, this low-carb, low-sodium, no-bean recipe is sure to hit the spot. And it’s so easy, you might find yourself making it all the time!
How to make low sodium no bean chili
This delicious chili comes together in a few simple steps. Ready to see how it’s done?
Step 1: In a large pot or cast iron Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the onion, green pepper, and jalapeño.
Step 2: Sauté for 5-7 minutes until slightly tender.
Step 3: Add the ground beef, breaking it apart with the back of a wooden spoon. Cook until the beef is thoroughly browned, about 5 minutes.
Step 4: Add the garlic and stir for 2 minutes.
Step 5: Add all the spices and tomato paste if using, then mix well.
Step 6: Add the bay leaves and enough beef broth to just cover the ground beef, then stir.
Step 7: Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. You can cook the chili for longer on a lower heat for more intense flavor, but it will be ready in 30 minutes if you want it quickly.
Step 8: Serve the chili with a dollop of sour cream, chopped green onions, and shredded cheddar cheese.
If you thought good chili took hours to cook and included way too much salt, one bite of this recipe will change your mind! It’s ready fast and perfect for low-sodium diets.
Tips for making low sodium beef chili
When you’re shopping for beef broth, always choose a low-sodium brand. Broths are pretty notorious for adding tons of salt, which we definitely don’t want. Of course, you always have the option to make your own as well.
For the ground beef, I like to use 85% lean. This is going to have a little more flavor and is especially good if you’re following a low-carb or keto diet. But you can definitely use 90% lean if you prefer or if that’s what you already have on hand.
Not watching your salt intake? Feel free to add a half teaspoon to the chili if you like.
Chili is one of those dishes that can taste even better the second day. The flavors always seem to deepen overnight!
You can store leftover chili in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days. When you’re ready to enjoy, I recommend reheating gently on the stove until nice and hot.
Other low-carb beef recipes
Looking for more ways to enjoy beef without all the carbs? There are so many satisfying options that will keep your taste buds singing! Here are a few of my favorite recipes I know you’ll enjoy:
When you’ve tried this chili, please don’t forget to let me know how you liked it and rate the recipe in the comments below!
Low Sodium No Bean Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 jalapeño (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (optional)
- 2-3 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- In a large pot or cast iron Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the onion, green pepper, and jalapeño.1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 onion, 1 green bell pepper, 1 jalapeño
- Sauté for 5-7 minutes until slightly tender.
- Add the ground beef, breaking it apart with the back of a wooden spoon. Cook until the beef is thoroughly browned, about 5 minutes.2 pounds lean ground beef
- Add the garlic and stir for 2 minutes.4 cloves garlic
- Add all the spices and tomato paste, then mix well.2 tablespoons chili powder, 2 teaspoons paprika, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1½ teaspoons cumin, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Add the bay leaves and enough beef broth to just cover the ground beef, then stir.2 bay leaves, 2-3 cups low-sodium beef broth
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. You can cook the chili for longer on a lower heat for more intense flavor, but it will be ready in 30 minutes if you want it quickly.
- Serve the chili with a dollop of sour cream, chopped green onions, and shredded cheddar cheese.