Craving pizza? Try making a pizza frittata like Chicken Tikka Masala Frittata. No carby crust in sight!
I’d never quite mastered the technique of making a frittata, but many of my friends rave about what a quick dinner they can be. Craving pizza and finding a jar of tikka masala sauce in the refrigerator encouraged me to try again. Hence, this pizza-style Indian frittata recipe was born. It makes a great brunch or a light Sunday night dinner. Try serving it with a spinach salad with mustard vinaigrette or steamed cauliflower and broccoli.
General Pizza Frittata Technique
No extra tikka masala sauce lying around? Use the following technique with any combination of veggies, protein, cheese, and sauce:
- Sauté aromatic vegetables like onions, peppers, celery, and garlic in olive oil on the stovetop in an ovenproof skillet.
- Add protein like chicken, turkey pepperoni, or chickpeas.
- Pour in beaten eggs and cook until set on the bottom, using a spatula to allow raw eggs to run underneath.
- Top with cheese and sauce.
- Broil until eggs cook through and cheese melts.
If the flavors in the Chicken Tikka Masala Frittata don’t appeal to you, try any combination you like. You can go with customary pizza toppings like (turkey) pepperoni and (chicken) sausage or veer off into a Mexican direction. You can see what Cooking Light suggests or try these ideas:
- Shredded chicken, salsa, and cheddar cheese.
- Turkey pepperoni, pasta sauce, and mozzarella.
- Canadian bacon, pineapple tidbits, pasta sauce, and mozzarella.
- Shredded chicken, salsa verde or Roasted Tomatillo Salsa, and Mexican blend cheese.
- Chickpeas, tikka masala sauce, and mozzarella (recipe below, substituting chickpeas for chicken).
Please share what toppings you’d like to try on pizza frittata!