Do you need a comprehensive reference book about all things diabetes? Pick up a copy of Diabetes Head to Toe (affiliate link) by Rita R. Kalyani, MD, MHS, Mark D. Corriere, MD, Thomas W. Donner, MD, and Michael W. Quartuccio, MD, all of whom are physicians at Johns Hopkins.
Full disclosure: Both Dr. Kalyani and I are members of the DiabetesSisters Board of Directors. I met her for the first time in person last May and we exchanged books. I gave her a copy of The Pocket Carbohydrate Counter Guide for Diabetes and she shared Diabetes Head to Toe with me. We had fun comparing our book writing experiences.
Dr. Kalyani is at the forefront of the movement to educate health care professionals about diabetes language and stigma and her book reflects that. You won’t find any judgments, just a lot of practical information about overcoming denial, educating yourself, and making appropriate lifestyle changes.
What’s Included in Diabetes Head to Toe?
- Chapter 1: A Quick Overview of Diabetes
- Chapter 2: Diagnosis, Screening, and Types of Diabetes
- Chapter 3: General Aspects of Diabetes
- Chapter 4: Diabetes in Special Populations
- Chapter 5: Lifestyle and Behavioral Changes in Diabetes
- Chapter 6: Obesity and Diabetes
- Chapter 7: Diabetes Complications and Other Conditions Common in Diabetes
- Chapter 8: An Overview of Treatments for Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes
- Chapter 9: Medications Commonly Used to Treat Diabetes
- Chapter 10: Medications for Conditions Related to Cardiovascular Disease
- Chapter 11: Diabetes Technology and Equipment
- Chapter 12: Cutting-Edge and Future Treatments for Diabetes
What You’ll Learn
Diabetes Head to Toe discusses the basics, of course, including differences between Type 1 and Type 2, the importance of blood glucose monitoring, carb counting, the plate method, and treatments.
The bulk of the book (Chapter 7) discusses how diabetes impacts your entire body and goes through each organ and system in great detail. It also covers depression and mental health.
- Brain: stroke, dementia, and depression
- Eyes: retinopathy, cataracts, and macular edema
- Ears: hearing loss
- Mouth: tooth and gum disease
- Thyroid: thyroid disease
- Heart: heart disease, congestive heart failure, hypertension, dyslipidemia (abnormal cholesterol and triglycerides), and metabolic syndrome
- Circulation: peripheral arterial disease
- Lungs: obstructive sleep apnea
- Stomach, Gut, Liver, and Pancreas: gastroparesis, celiac disease (and Type 1), nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), and pancreatitis
- Kidneys: diabetic kidney disease, dialysis, and kidney transplantation
- Bladder: bladder disorders including urinary incontinence
- Nerves: peripheral and autonomic neuropathy
- Feet: amputation, foot ulcers, wound healing, neuroarthropathy (Charcot Joint Disease)
- Muscle, Skin, and Bones: skin conditions, muscle and joint diseases, osteoporosis, and vitamin D deficiency
- Cancer and Diabetes: common cancers and pancreatic cancer
- Anemia, Infections, and Immune System: anemia and infectious diseases
- Men’s Health: male sexual difficulties, erectile dysfunction, and low testosterone
- Women’s Health: pregnancy, gestational diabetes, female sexual difficulties, menopausal effects, menstrual cycle effects, and polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)