Did you know that eating salmon, halibut, tuna, and leafy greens is good for your eyes? Healthy Vision Month continues with salmon recipes from lots of great cooks.
Photos courtesy of Wanna Bite, Pepper Bowl, Culinary Ginger, Fancy Shanty, Hungry Hobby, Strength and Sunshine,
This Mama Loves, My Wife Can Cook, Fearless Dining, My Pinterventures, The Fit Blog, Living Well Spending Less,
Shiny Happy Bright, Wholesome Yum, Savory Tooth, and Living Sweet Moments.
People with diabetes are particularly at risk for diabetic retinopathy (DR), a condition where damaged or swollen blood vessels in the eye’s retina may lead to severe vision loss or blindness. A study by the American Diabetes Association showed that the presence of DR in people with type 2 also indicates an increased risk for coronary heart disease.
How to Avoid Diabetic Retinopathy
What can you do to head off DR?
- Schedule a comprehensive eye exam annually. DR presents no symptoms until vision loss is imminent.
- Control blood glucose. Strive for an A1C below 6.5.
- Keep blood pressure under control. Shoot for less than 140/90 and, in some cases, less than 130/70.
- Lower your cholesterol, if necessary. Most adults with diabetes should aim for an LDL level of less than 100 mg/dl. HDL should be greater than 40 mg/dl for men and greater than 50 mg/dl for women.
- If you still smoke, quit. Some research indicates smoking increases risk for DR.
- Exercise regularly. Try to move at least 30 minutes every day.
- Eat a healthy diet. Increase your intake of fresh fruits and vegetables (see leafy greens recipes), fatty fish (see salmon recipes below), and whole grains.
Loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, salmon is great for eye health. It also keeps your thyroid working properly, helps your immune system, and boosts heart and kidney function. Here are a few ways to get more salmon into your diet. Note some recipes may need a few tweaks to make them completely diabetic-friendly.
- Smoked Salmon Crostini with Lemon Ricotta Spread – Savory Tooth
- Instant Pot Salmon with Chili-Lime Sauce – Savory Tooth
- Cedar Plank Grilled Salmon – Pepper Bowl
- Grilled Salmon – Pepper Bowl
- Homemade Salmon Burgers – Wanna Bite
- Orange Ginger Glazed Salmon – Living Sweet Moments
- Tangy Salmon Sheet Pan Dinner – Living Sweet Moments
- Apricot Glazed Salmon – Living Sweet Moments
- Ginger Lime Salmon Steaks – This Mama Loves
- Honey Glazed Salmon – This Mama Loves
- Baked Salmon with Spring Vegetables – Culinary Ginger
- Smoked Salmon Cream Cheese Wraps – The Fit Blog
- Easy Salmon and Crab Rolls – The Fit Blog
- Crab-Stuffed Salmon with Lemon Butter (Paleo) – Wholesome Yum
- Honey Sriracha Salmon with Sweet & Spicy Mayo – My Pinterventures
- Pan-Fried Salmon – Our Good Life
- Baked Chili Lime Salmon – The Kolb Corner
- Pan-Fried Salmon in White Wine Sauce with Tagliatelle Pasta – Masala Herb (sounds delicious even without the pasta)
- Salmon en Papillote – Masala Herb
- Simple Roasted Salmon – Living Well Spending Less
- Easy Salmon Tacos – Hungry Hobby
- Sheet Pan Baked Jamaican Jerk Salmon & Zucchini – Hungry Hobby
- Salmon Cakes (Paleo) – The Starving Chef
- Salmon Burgers – The Starving Chef
- Roasted Hatch Chile & Jicama Salmon – Strength and Sunshine
- Korean BBQ Salmon Stir-Fry – Strength and Sunshine
- Harissa Salmon with Shredded Coconut – Strength and Sunshine
- Black Garlic & Lime Cedar Plank Salmon – Strength and Sunshine
- Easy Salmon with Tomatillo and Papaya Salsa – Fearless Dining
- Spicy Pan-Seared Chili Lime Salmon – My Wife Can Cook
- Honey Glazed Baked Salmon and Mango Salad – My Wife Can Cook
- Best Honey Garlic Salmon – My Heavenly Recipes
- Crusted Cayenne & Lemon Salmon – My Heavenly Recipes
- Foiled Lemon Grilled Salmon – My Heavenly Recipes
- Asian Salmon and Rice with Sesame Ginger Soy Sauce – Fancy Shanty
- Salmon with Blueberries – Shiny Happy Bright
- Salmon Meatballs with Quinoa (Gluten-free) – Diabetic Foodie
- Salmon Tacos with Kale, Collards, and Lemon-Tomato Vinaigrette – Diabetic Foodie
- Broiled Salmon with Onion Marmalade over Greens – Diabetic Foodie