Looking for more low-carb snacks? These no-cook zucchini slices rolled up with herby goat cheese and red pepper strips are perfect. There are only 4 ingredients and you can make them ahead. If you don’t like goat cheese, substitute any spreadable, creamy cheese.
Mandolines terrify me. There, I said it. I’ve used one many times and never had a problem, but there’s something about that razor-sharp blade that makes me really nervous. However, there are certain recipes that require paper-thin cuts and only a mandoline will do. This is one of them. If you don’t have a mandoline, slice your zucchini into rounds and simply spread goat cheese on the slices and top with chopped bell pepper. (Skip the salting part.) You won’t get the roll effect, but the taste will still be there.
These roll-ups are also the perfect side dish during the summer when you need new, creative ideas for your zucchini haul and you don’t want to heat up the kitchen.
- 2 medium zucchini (about 1 pound), ends trimmed
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large bell pepper (any color), seeded
- 2 ounces garlic and herb goat cheese, at room temperature
- Place two layers of paper towels on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Using a mandoline, thinly slice the zucchini lengthwise into ⅛-inch thick strips. You should have about 16 slices. Place zucchini strips on paper towels and salt both sides. Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Slice bell pepper into thin strips that are just a little bit longer than the zucchini is wide.
- Blot the zucchini dry on both sides with fresh paper towels.
- Place a zucchini strip on a cutting board and spread with goat cheese. Add a few strips of bell pepper at one end and roll up (starting at the end with the red pepper). Place on a serving dish. Repeat with remaining zucchini.
Make-ahead tip: These rolls will keep in the refrigerator for several hours before serving.
Don't like goat cheese? Any soft, spreadable cheese should work. Cream cheese with chive and onion or garden vegetables would probably be delicious, although I haven't tried it.
Don't have a mandoline? Slice your zucchini crosswise into rounds. Skip the salting step and simply spread goat cheese on the slices and top with chopped bell pepper.