Tropical Fruit Turnovers

Mitch assembles the turnovers

Mitch assembles the Tropical Fruit Turnovers

Let me start off by saying this recipe isn’t particularly diabetic-friendly. It’s here because my nephews came for a visit during their spring break and, one morning, they wanted to make breakfast for the CompostMaster and me. Mitch (age 11) should be credited with the concept – he knew he wanted to make puff pastry filled with fruit and covered with a yogurt sauce. Tyler (age 9) helped with the filling and wrote down every step of the recipe while Mitch assembled the pastries. You’ll find the unedited version of Tyler’s recipe below.

I sure wish Tyler was here to take notes when I’m developing other recipes!

Tyler documents recipe for Tropical Fruit Turnovers

Tyler documents recipe

Tropical Fruit Turnovers

Tropical Fruit Turnovers

by Mitch & Tyler, Midlothian VA (ages 11 and 9)

Puff pastry 1.17.3
Banana 2
Mango 1
Cinamin 1/2 tsp.
Brown sugar 2 tsp.
Butter 2 tbsp.
Egg 1

Tropical Fruit Turnovers concept

Mitch posted his concept on the refrigerator

Put a Sauce pan on a stove and put it on mediem high. Place 2 tbsp. butter in sauce pan till melts little bit. Then get 2 bananas and 1 mango and cut in slices. When butter melts, place banana and mango in sauce pan. Start stiring the mixture till it gets smooth with tiny chunks. Get 2 tsp. Brown sugar and 1/2 tsp. cinamin in sauce pan and stir till Brown sugar and cinamin desolve. Now it’s time to start on the puff pastry part of this meal. Cut the puff pastry in 3 tall rectangles. Then cut every one of the tall rectangular puff pastry in three mediem sized squares. Put the filling sauce in sort of the middle. Fold the pastry over the sauce and make it so there’s no wholes around the edges. Place puff pastrys on pan and put it in the oven at 400°F.

To make the sauce you will need a blender. Blend yogurt, granola, and pineapple. Then bring your creation to life.

1. Linda Mire says

Sounds delicious! They did a great job on getting the puff pastry perfectly browned. You have two great nephews :)

2. Traci says

Great going young men!! I have a feeling I need to print this out for my niece. She would love to make something from her own age group.

3. Woo Brower says

I have everything I need for this recipe! I have been looking for a way to use up the two sheets of puff pastry in my freezer. Thanks! Can’t wait to bring this creation to life :)

4. Kel says

This looks delicious! You can never go wrong with puff pastry and fruit. I like the idea of the tangy yogurt with the sweet fruit. Great combination!

5. Chris H. says

Awesome! This sounds great- I’m going to pass it along to a friend who is teaching her kiddos to work in the kitchen. I might have to sample it myself, as well…

6. Charles says

It’s nice to see young people taking an interest in cooking and eating home-made food. They did a great job.

7. Perky Mac says

Great concept and well executed. Definitely kitchen rock stars! Can’t wait to see what you guys come up with next. Meantime, I’m trying your recipe and I’m not diabetic. Looks SO good!

8. says

Super cute… and I always love guys who help out in the kitchen. These will become to be great partners in the kitchen some day!!! Mango and bananas… Mmmmmm. Must try soon.

And for the record, my sister is diabetic and an endocrinologist. As long as you count your carbs, a small treat like this is not too bad. It’s not everyday food, but it’s all natural and natural is always good in my book.