Today is Pi Day and Virtual Potluck is celebrating with pie, of course! Since I actually have two degrees in math and my stepdaughter is working on her PhD, I can’t let this “holiday” go by unnoticed.
I’m bringing a crustless savory crab and asparagus quiche to the party. I made this for breakfast one morning and I think The Grillmaster had it for breakfast, lunch AND dinner that day. It’s even better the day after you make it and easily reheats in the microwave. Use jumbo lump crab meat if you can find it (and if you can afford it).
The other members of the Virtual Potluck gang are bringing their own delicious pies today – some savory, some sweet. Please visit them to check out these great recipes:
- CatBoy Plum Jam Crostata by Cookistry
- Carrot Jalapeño Cheese Pie by Cooking with Books
- Savory Tomato Pie by 30AEATS
- Lemon Cheese Danish Pie by Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Mini Lemon Pies by Miss in the Kitchen
- Goat Cheese Quiche with Sweet Potato Crust by Farmgirl Gourmet
- Chicken Pot Pie with Bacon and Butternut Squash by Thyme in Our Kitchen
Giveaway Since this is a Virtual Potluck and we don’t want you to go away empty-handed, one reader will win a Pi Day prize package worth more than $300 that includes: 5 piece nonstick bakeware set from Good Cook $100 gift certificate from Oh Nuts 11-inch cake stand from Zak Designs assorted beans and extracts from Beanilla variety of sweeteners from Wholesome Sweeteners assorted spices from My Spice Sage To enter, follow the instructions below. (You only have to enter on one blog – the entries will be pooled together to select a winner.) The contest will run through 8pm EST on March 21, 2013. You must be at least 18 years of age with a U.S. mailing address to win. No purchase is necessary; void where prohibited. The winner will be notified by email and must respond within 24 hours or another winner may be selected. (Please make sure email from email@example.com doesn’t end up in your spam folder.)
Disclaimer: Items in the prize package were contributed by Good Cook, Oh Nuts, Zak Designs, Beanilla, Wholesome Sweeteners and My Spice Sage. I received no compensation for this post and all opinions are my own.
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup egg substitute
- ½ cup low-fat buttermilk baking mix
- ¾ cup fat-free half and half
- 1 cup asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces and cooked until crisp-tender
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese (low-sodium)
- 1 tablespoon finely minced onion
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces jumbo lump crab, picked over to remove all shell
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9-inch deep dish pie plate with cooking spray and set aside.
- Whisk together eggs and egg substitute in a large bowl. Whisk together baking mix and half and half in separate medium bowl. Add flour mixture to eggs and whisk until smooth. Stir in asparagus, cheese, onions, salt and pepper. Gently stir in crab, taking care not to break up the lumps. Pour mixture into prepared pie plate.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until center is set. Cool in dish on wire rack for 15 minutes before cutting into wedges.