When I think of Spring, I think of asparagus. When I think of asparagus, I think of these salty, crunchy, creamy bundles of joy that I have making almost as long as I’ve been cooking.
Need an impressive brunch dish? How about a great appetizer that is perfect served warm or at room temperature? No one will ever need to know how simple these asparagus and prosciutto bundles are to make.
If you can’t find the light cream cheese with garden vegetables, buy plain light cream cheese and mix in some garlic and shallots or other veggies. Just be sure to mince them very finely or you’ll have difficulty rolling up the bundles.
If your asparagus is thicker, you may want only two spears per bundle. If you buy “steakhouse” style asparagus, you may only need one.
What food makes you think of Spring?
Asparagus and Prosciutto Bundles
Adapted from The Silver Palate Cookbook by Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins
36 spears thin asparagus
6 slices prosciutto, cut in half lengthwise
1 tablespoon light cream cheese with garden vegetables
freshly ground black pepper
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. For each spear of asparagus, take one end in each hand. Bend until the end snaps off. (The stalk will break exactly where the end starts to get woody.) Discard end. Rinse asparagus. When water is boiling, drop in asparagus and cook until just crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Spread a thin layer of cream cheese on each half slice of prosciutto. Sprinkle with pepper. Roll prosciutto around 3 asparagus spears and place in single layer (bundles should not touch) on baking sheet.
Bake for about 5 minutes or until bundles have warmed through.
Makes 6 servings
Per serving (2 bundles): 44 calories, 2g fat (1g sat), 4mg cholesterol, 204mg sodium, 4g carb, 2g fiber, 2g sugar, 5g protein
Nutritional Analysis: These asparagus bundles are good sources of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Thiamin, Folate, Iron, Copper, Dietary Fiber, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Riboflavin, Niacin, Phosphorus, Potassium and Manganese. (Source: nutritiondata.com) If you are watching your Sodium intake, you might want to use low-sodium ham in place of the prosciutto.
- Baked Eggs with Shaved Asparagus and Proscuitto by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Shrimp and Leek Quiche by Gourmet Drizzles
- Spinach and Cheddar Quiche for St. Patrick’s Day Brunch by Supper For A Steal
- Asparagus and Spring Onion Frittatta by Country Girl in the Village
- Egg Bake with Spring Onions, Asparagus and Artichokes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Apps, Bread, Salads, Soups and Dressings
- Gluten Free Irish Soda Bread by The Meltaways
- Strawberry, Avocado, Spinach Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette by Daily Dish Recipes
- Asparagus Gazpacho by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Spinach Bacon Salad by In The Kitchen with Audrey
- Anchovy and Egg Salad by Pescetarian Journal
- Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup by Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Asparagus Red Pepper Salad by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- White Asparagus & Salmon Spring Salad by Family Foodie
- Chicken-Strawberry Field Green Salad w/Strawberry Balsamic Dressing by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bacon & Egg Spring Salad by Daddy Knows Less
- Green Garbanzo Hummus by Soni’s Food
Main and Sides
- Pea Shoot Risotto by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Creamy Meyer Lemon Pasta by Juanita’s Cocina
- Sweet Ginger Scallion Noodles by What Smells So Good?
- Asparagus Pesto w/Heirloom Fingerlings and Orecchiette by Webicurean
- Coddle for St. Patrick’s Day by Noshing With The Nolands
- Corned Beef Cabbage Rolls by Curious Cuisiniere
- Brown Butter Brussels Sprouts with Gruyère and Hazelnuts by Hip Foodie Mom
- Raw Cucumber Sandwich with Avocado and Spinach Sauce by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Berry Tacos by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Asparagus and Prosciutto Bundles by Diabetic Foodie
- Caramelized Grapes and Brie Whole Wheat Galette by Vintage Kitchen
- Pink Water Kimchi (Nabak Kimchi) by Kimchi Mom
- Key Lime Cheesecake by The Foodie Army Wife
- Irish Coffee Ice Cream with Caramel Whiskey Sauce by 30A Eats
- Coconut Raspberry Layer Cake by Gotta Get Baked
- Fresh Mango Berry Mousse With Coconut Cream by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Chocolate Mint Brownies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Sorbet by Magnolia Days
- Cadbury Creme Egg Pull-Apart Sweet Rolls by Chocolate Moosey
- Strawberry Cheesecake Parfaits by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Meyer Lemon Ice Cream Sandwiches by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Lemon Roll Cake by The Ninja Baker
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Candied Flowers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Lemon Citrus Cookies by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Mini Fruit Tarts by Big Bear’s Wife
- Faux Fried Ice Cream by Neighborfood
- Watergate Salad by Cupcakes and Pearls Blog
- Good-for-You Strawberry Tiramisu Cheesecake Cups by Cupcakes & Kale Chips