Do you love Italian subs, but rarely enjoy one because of the carbs in the roll? Try this Italian Sub Salad instead.
A restaurant near us once had a game room downstairs where they served subs at lunchtime. The menu was limited – ham, turkey, roast beef, Italian, and veggie – but their Italian sub was the best I’ve ever had. The meats were nice and lean, the sub was served hot so the cheese was perfectly melted, the roll was fresh and crunchy in all of the right places, and the dressing had exactly the right amount of oil, vinegar, and Italian spices. A co-worker of mine once said a sub is “no good unless the dressing drips down your arms.” By that standard, this sub was really good.
Sadly, while this restaurant still exists, the game room/sub shop is no more. I really miss that sub.
When I heard that the Sunday Supper group was focusing on “skinny” foods today, I decided to try a healthier take on an Italian sub. Converting it into a salad, bulking it up with romaine, and replacing the sub roll with a handful of croutons significantly reduces the calories and carbs. Take a look at how this Italian sub salad stacks up against a 6-inch Italian BMT sub from Subway:
|Subway 6-inch Italian BMT||Italian Sub Salad|
|Total Fat||16 g||12 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g||4 g|
|Cholesterol||45 mg||36 mg|
|Sodium||1,300 mg||1,836 mg|
|Total Carbs||46 g||17 g|
|Fiber||5 g||3 g|
|Sugar||8 g||5 g|
|Protein||20 g||15 g|
You’ll notice that the salad is “healthier” than the sub in most respects, but it does contain more Sodium. This recipe is easy to throw together, but that convenience isn’t free. Foods that come in jars (giardiniera, peppers) or packages (croutons) and cold cuts contain a lot of Sodium. If you are watching your Sodium intake, here are some ways to modify the recipe:
- Make your own croutons: Cube bread and toss with olive oil. Spread on baking sheet and bake at 400°F, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 10 minutes.
- Replace the giardiniera with fresh, raw cauliflower, carrots, peppers, celery and/or onions. Replace the brine with balsamic vinegar.
- Replace the jarred peppers with fresh, sliced banana peppers.
- Cut back on the amount of meats and cheese or use low-sodium varieties.
This salad isn’t the perfect substitute for that memorable Italian Sub, but it’ll do.
- 1 (16 ounce) jar giardiniera (pickled vegetables)
- ½ cup jarred sweet and hot salad peppers or Peppadew peppers
- 2 ounces turkey pepperoni, cut into thin strips
- 1 ounce Genoa salami, cut into thin strips
- 2 ounces prosciutto, cut into thin strips
- 2 ounces smoked provolone cheese, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ large head of romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup fat-free croutons (I like the garlic Caesar ones)
- freshly ground black pepper
- Drain giardiniera, reserving 2 tablespoons of brine.
- In a large bowl, toss together the giardiniera, peppers, pepperoni, salami, prosciutto and provolone. Drizzle with olive oil and giardiniera brine and toss again. Set aside for about 20 minutes to let flavors combine.
- Add romaine and croutons to giardiniera mixture and toss. Season with pepper and serve immediately.
The #SundaySupper gang will be sharing “Skinny” recipes all afternoon on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram on Sunday, February 17, 2013. We will also have a live chat at 7 p.m. EST on Twitter and will be using the hashtag #SundaySupper. We look forward to answering questions, giving tips and inspiring you to spend more time Around the Family Table with those you love! Thanks to Sunithi of Sue’s Nutrition Buzz for hosting this event.
Sizzling Skinny Appetizers & Soups
- Napa Cabbage wrapped Chinese Spring Rolls by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- #DairyFree Cream of Broccoli Soup by Galactosemia in PDX
- Easy Vegan Lentil Soup by NeighborFood
- Spicy Asian Chicken Noodle Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Tomato Basil Soup by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Skinny Beef Chili by Webicurean
Healthy Skinny Mains & Sides
- Chicken with Herb Tomatoes and Pan Sauce by Hezzi D’s Books & Cooks
- Kale Salad with Pomegranates, Apples and Walnuts by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Skinny Salad Wraps by MamaMommyMom
- Mashed Cauliflower by Supper for a Steal
- Lamb Florentine Burger with Tzatziki by Country Girl in the Village
- Skinny Avocado Egg Salad Wraps by The Daily Dish Recipes
- Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad by Family Foodie
- Parchment-Poached Salmon by Simply Gourmet
- Maddy’s Arugula Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cauliflower Pizza by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Light chicken enchiladas by My Cute Bride
- Pear Almond Arugula Salad with Honey Vinaigrette by Vintage Kitchen
- Pasta Primavera by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Cauliflower Fried Rice by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Ahi Tuna Salad by The Urban Mrs
- Soba Noodles with Edamame and Green Onions by Hip Foodie Mom
- Scallops Hong Kong Style by Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Pork and Green Chile Stew by Momma’s Meals
- Roasted Garlic, Chicken & Herb White Pizza by Dinners Dishes and Desserts
- Polynesian Salad with Pineapple Vinaigrette by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Herb Roasted Salmon with Steamed Cabbage & Peas by The Lovely Pantry
- Turkey and Black Bean Taco Burgers by In The Kitchen With K P
- Salmon Tikka Wraps with Cucumber Raita by Soni’s Food
- Whole wheat pasta with Spicy Roasted Cauliflower by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Slow Cooker Baby Back Ribs by I Run For Wine
- Chipotle Black Bean Burgers with Baked Garlic Home Fries by Curious Cuisiniere
- The Ninja Baker’s Sake & Miso Salmon by Ninja Baking
- Roasted Sweet Potato, Quinoa and Black Bean Burgers with Parsnip Fries by Gourmet Drizzles
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Smoked Sausage Cassoulet by The Weekend Gourmet
- Cumin Roasted Cauliflower and Carrots by Mangoes and Chutney
- Italian Sub Salad by Diabetic Foodie
- Swiss Chard and Quinoa Croquettes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Broccoli Patties with Arugula and Champagne Vinaigrette by Sustainable Dad
- Raw Kale Salad with Chickpeas and Salmon in Orange Dressing by Shockingly Delicious
- Greek Yogurt Egg Salad Sandwich by Damn Delicious
- Confetti Cabbage and Salmon Wraps by The Roxx Box
- Escarole and Beans by Midlife Roadtrip
- Cajun Black Beans by Ruffles and Truffles
- Caprese salad by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Skinny Wholegrain Fettuccine Alfredo with Greek Yogurt & Coconut Oil by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Guilt Free Skinny Desserts & Snacks
- Chocolate Avocado Cake by Gotta Get Baked
- Tiramisu Parfaits by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Sugar Free Banana Almond Muffins by What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Coconut Cinnamon Buns by Juanita’s Cocina
- Warm Apple Crumble by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Dark Chocolate-Dipped Apricots by girlichef
- Homemade Protein Bar Recipe by Masala Herb
- Skinny Chocolate Almond Pudding by Basic N Delicious
Wine Pairing Recommendations for Skinny Sunday Supper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog