The Grillmaster loves eggs for breakfast. I blow hot and cold, usually preferring something like Spinach Smoothie with Apples and Grapes or Tofu Scramble with Swiss Chard. My recent glucose numbers have been whispering that I need more protein for breakfast so I’ve been looking for new ways to prepare eggs. Enter these Baked Eggs in Wonton Cups.
These baked eggs are a snap to make and they look impressive too. Feel free to experiment with the type of meat and cheese you use. I picked Canadian bacon because it’s lower in fat than ham and Gouda cheese because, well, I had some in the refrigerator and I thought the smokiness would be a nice touch. It was.
What’s your favorite way to eat eggs for breakfast?
- 12 wonton wrappers
- 6 slices Canadian bacon, chopped
- 6 tablespoons shredded smoked Gouda cheese (about 1 ounce)
- 6 eggs
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 6 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Gently press 1 wonton wrapper into each muffin cup, slightly off-center. Gently press a second wonton wrapper into each muffin cup, on the opposite side of center from the first wrapper and at a slight angle to the first wrapper. Cover as much of the sides of the cup as possible with the two wrappers.
- Divide the Canadian bacon and cheese evenly among the muffin cups. Push the bacon and cheese away from the center to make an indentation in each cup. Crack an egg into each indentation. Sprinkle with scallions.
- Bake in the center of the oven until whites are set, but yolks are still runny, about 20 minutes.