Today the #SundaySupper gang is throwing a Kicked-Up New Year’s Potluck featuring recipes from Emeril’s Kicked-Up Sandwiches: Stacked with Flavor and Emeril’s Potluck: Comfort Food with a Kicked-Up Attitude, both by Emeril Lagasse.
A Three-Cheese Veggie Sandwich with Sun-Dried Tomato and Walnut Pesto from the sandwich cookbook is my contribution to the potluck.
Keep reading for details about how you can become the proud owner of a copy of Kicked-Up Sandwiches.
I must confess I’m not a huge sandwich lover. When I do eat them, I usually prefer them to be hot. This veggie combo on whole-grain toast featuring provolone, cheddar, Swiss, sun-dried tomatoes, avocado and sprouts completely changed my mind about cold sandwiches. Use store-bought pesto if you are pinched for time, but make Emeril’s Sun-Dried Tomato and Walnut Pesto if you can. It is to die for! The sweetness from the tomatoes, the saltiness from the cheese and the crunch from the walnuts make it the perfect sandwich spread.
A few notes about my version of Emeril’s Three-Cheese Veggie Sandwich:
- I used smoked sun-dried tomatoes on the sandwich, but not in the pesto. I loved the flavor it added.
- I used store-bought multigrain bread instead of making Emeril’s version because I was a little bit pressed for time given the holidays. I’m definitely looking forward to trying Emeril’s bread soon.
- I only used 2 tablespoons of pesto per sandwich instead of 4 to save some calories and fat.
- I didn’t add any extra salt to the sandwich–the cheese lent enough for me. Your mileage may vary.
- I found some great ultra-thin sliced cheese that only contained 40 to 45 calories per slice and used it in my sandwich. It had all of the mouthfeel of full-fat cheese, unlike some of the reduced-fat cheeses.
Giveaway You can win a copy of Emeril’s Kicked-Up Sandwiches: Stacked with Flavor. To enter the giveaway, you must participate in our Twitter chat on Sunday, December 30, 2012 between 7 and 8 pm Eastern. I will choose the winner randomly from tweets that mention me (@diabeticFoodie) AND include the hashtag #SundaySupper. The more you tweet, the better your chances of winning! You must be at least 18 years of age with a U.S. or Canadian mailing address to win. No purchase is necessary; void where prohibited. The winner will be notified by email and must respond within 24 hours or another winner may be selected. (Please make sure email from email@example.com doesn’t end up in your spam folder.)
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of Emeril’s Kicked-Up Sandwiches: Stacked with Flavor plus a second copy to give away. All opinions are my own.
- 8 slices seeded or multigrain bread (see page 301), toasted
- 1 cup Sun-Dried Tomato and Walnut Pesto (page 320)
- ½ cucumber, sliced into ⅛-inch-thick rounds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, for seasoning
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- ½ avocado, thinly sliced
- ½ cup thinly sliced sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup alfalfa or green leaf sprouts
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Arrange the toast slices in a single layer on a work surface. Spread 2 tablespoons of the Sun-Dried Tomato and Walnut Pesto on each slice of bread. On 4 of the slices, arrange the cucumber in a single layer, covering as much of the bread as possible, and season with just a pinch of salt and pepper. Place a slice each of provolone, cheddar, and Swiss cheese on top of the cucumber. Divide the avocado slices evenly among the sandwiches and season with salt and pepper. Spread 2 tablespoons of the sun-dried tomatoes evenly over the avocado.
- In a small mixing bowl, toss the sprouts with the olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Spread ¼ cup of the sprouts over the tomatoes on each sandwich. Complete the sandwiches with the remaining slices of toast.
- ½ cup walnut halves or pieces, toasted
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup fresh parsley leaves
- ¼ cup whole sun-dried tomatoes
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Place the walnuts in a food processor and pulse until they are thoroughly chopped. Add the garlic, basil, parsley, sun-dried tomatoes, Parmesan, salt, pepper, lemon zest, lemon juice, and balsamic vinegar. Pulse for a few seconds. With the machine running, add the oil in a steady stream to combine. Transfer the pesto to a serving bowl and use immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week, or store in the freezer for 3 months.
The #SundaySupper gang will be sharing Emeril-inspired recipes all afternoon on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram on Sunday, December 30, 2012. We will also have a live chat at 7 p.m. EST on Twitter and will be using the hashtag #SundaySupper. We look forward to answering questions, giving tips and inspiring you to spend more time Around the Family Table with those you love! Thanks to Isabel of Family Foodie for hosting this event.
Sunday Supper NYE Potluck Drinks:
- Champagne Punch by girlichef
- Champagne Punch by Daily Dish Recipes
- Champagne Punch by Midlife Roadtrip
- Champagne Punch by Family Foodie
- Chi Chi Cocktails by The Messy Baker Blog
Sunday Supper NYE Potluck Starters:
- Spiced Nuts by The Cookie A Day Challenge
- Spiced Nuts by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Spiced Nuts by Home Cooking Memories
- Spiced Nuts by Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Prosciutto Breadsticks & Spiced Nuts by Galactosemia in PDX
Sunday Supper NYE Potluck Dishes and Sandwiches:
- Sopressata and Genoa Salami Calzones by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Paul’s Make the Whole Crew Happy Sausage Meatballs with Red Gravy by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Paul’s Make the Whole Crew Happy Sausage Meatballs with Red Gravy by The Meltaways
- Paul’s Make the Whole Crew Happy Sausage Meatballs with Red Gravy by Craving’s of a Lunatic
- Three Cheese Veggie Sandwich by Supper for a Steal
- Three Cheese Veggie Sandwich by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Three Cheese Veggie Sandwich by Diabetic Foodie
- Three Cheese Veggie Sandwich by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Three Cheese Veggie Sandwich by In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene
- Columbia Street Grinder by The Foodie Army Wife
- Columbia Street Grinder by The Weekend Gourmet
- Columbia Street Grinder by She likes ruffles, he likes truffles
- Columbia Street Grinder by Momma’s Meals
- Emeril’s Columbia Street Grinder Kicked Up a Notch New Orleans Style by The Catholic Foodie
- Eggplant Muffuletta by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- A Vegetarian Take on Emeril’s Kicked Up Sandwiches Tonkatsu Sandwich by Ninja Baking
- New Orleans Style Garlic BBQ Shrimp by Comfy Cuisine
Sunday Supper NYE Desserts:
- New Orleans-Style Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce by Magnolia Days
- New Orleans-Style Bread Pudding with 2 Sauces by Juanita’s Cocina
- Angel Cake Sandwiches by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Coffee Cake with Crumble Topping and Brown Sugar Glaze by Damn Delicious