When I saw this Chocolate Pie recipe that won an American Heart Association Heart-Healthy Bake-Off, I knew this was the pie I wanted to make for a friend whose significant other is battling cancer.
The chocolate filling for this pie contains low-fat cream cheese and tofu, believe it or not. The whipped topping features half whipping cream and half plain nonfat Greek yogurt. You can serve the pie with any combination of the topping, raspberry coulis and fresh raspberries.
Chantal will be running an online promotion during their #BakeForACure event. To receive 20% off any Chantal pie dish, enter the code BAKE4CURE when you make a purchase in the Chantal online store. This discount will be available through October 30, 2012.
If you know someone currently being affected by cancer, get yourself a pie dish and start baking!
Disclosure: I received a free Easy as Pie Dish from Chantal. All opinions are my own.
Adapted from Baking for Friends by Kathleen King of Tate’s Bake Shop
2 cups graham cracker crumbs, crushed in food processor (from about 2 sleeves of crackers)
2 tablespoons almond butter
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (preferably Grade B)
6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
8 ounces low-fat cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
8 ounces silken tofu, drained
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 large egg whites, at room temperature
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1/3 cup seedless raspberry spread (I like Polaner® All-Fruit)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Raspberry Coulis (see below)
12 ounces fresh raspberries
Make the crust: Pulse graham cracker crumbs, almond butter, melted butter and maple syrup together in a food processor until the crumbs are evenly moistened. Press evenly onto the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie dish. Don’t press too hard or the crust will be tough. Refrigerate.
Make the filling:
- Heat the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl at 50% power for 30 seconds. Stir, then repeat in additional 30-second intervals until the chocolate is melted and smooth (about 2 minutes total, depending on your microwave). Let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and brown sugar with a mixer until creamy, about 1 minute, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the tofu and vanilla and beat until smooth. Add the melted chocolate and mix until well-combined.
- In a medium bowl, using clean beaters, beat egg whites on high until they form stiff, but not dry, peaks. Stir about one-quarter of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture, then fold in the rest.
Put the pie together: Preheat oven to 325°F. Spread filling evenly in prepared crust. Place on rimmed baking sheet. Bake until the filling looks set but still has a wet area in the center, about 40 minutes. Do not overbake. Let cool completely on wire rack, the refrigerate at least 2 hours.
Make the topping: Whip the cream with a mixer on high just until it begins to thicken. Add the yogurt, raspberry spread and vanilla. Continue whipping until mixture forms stiff peaks. Spread on top of the pie. Slice and serve chilled, with raspberry coulis and fresh raspberries.
Makes 12 servings
Per serving (does not include Raspberry Coulis): 339 calories, 19g fat (10g sat), 34mg cholesterol, 236mg sodium, 39g carb, 5g fiber, 23g sugar, 7g protein
From Baking for Friends by Kathleen King of Tate’s Bake Shop
2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon water
In a small saucepan, cook the raspberries, sugar and water over medium-low heat, stirring often, until the raspberries are very soft and the juices have thickened slightly, about 10 minutes.
Pour into a fine wire sieve set over a bowl. Using a rubber spatula, rub the coulis through the sieve; discard the seeds in the sieve. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Makes 12 servings
Per serving: 32 calories, 0g fat 0(g sat), 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 8g carb, 1g fiber, 6g sugar, 0g protein
The #SundaySupper gang will be sharing #BakeForACure recipes all afternoon on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram on Sunday, October 21, 2012. We will also have a live chat at 7 p.m. EST on Twitter and will be using the hashtags #BakeForACure and #SundaySupper. We look forward to answering questions, giving tips and inspiring you to spend more time Around the Family Table with those you love! Thanks to Isabel of Family Foodie and Chantal for hosting this event.
These #SundaySupper Contributors, were provided with a beautiful Easy As Pie Dish by Chantal Cookware. Many are giving away their dish along with their pie to brighten someone’s day.
- Pecan Pie by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Nana’s 3LB Deep Dish Apple Pie by I Run For Wine
- Upside-down Apple Pie by Comfy Cuisine
- Coconut Pie by Basic N Delicious
- Italian Chicken Pie by Momma’s Meals
- German Apple Pie by Mrs. Mama Hen
- Funny Cake by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sweet Potato Pie with Gingersnap Crust by Webicurean
- Crustless Pumpkin Pie with Maple Whipped Cream by The Meltaways
- Lemon Meringue Pie by The Messy Baker Blog
- Ham and Spinach Quiche by Magnolia Days
- Pink Salmon Quiche by My Catholic Kitchen
- Pumpkin Pie with Pecan Streusel Topping by Juanita’s Cocina
- Grilled Eggplant Moussaka With Greek Yogurt White Sauce by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie by Big Bears Wife
- Pumpkin Maple Pie by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Spiced Pumpkin Pie with a Cinnamon Roll Crust by Daily Dish Recipes
- Pasteis de Nata ~ Portuguese Custard Tart by Family Foodie
- Chocolate Pie by Diabetic Foodie
- Fancified Shepard’s Pie by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Pink Lady Pie by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
As you may have noticed, when the #SundaySupper Team does something, we come together and do it with a bang. Check out these additional recipes, perfect to take to someone special this month.
- Butterscotch Pudding Triple Chip Cookies by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Hazelnut Milk Chocolate Pie by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Flatbread with Grapes, Gruyere, Rosemary and Red Onions by Shockingly Delicious
- Salted Caramel Filled Chocolate Chip Cookie by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Candy Bar Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Quiches by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Apple Cranberry Slab Pie by Generation Y Foodie
- Gratin of Potatoes, Onions & Leeks by An Appealing Plan
- Garlic rosemary yeast rolls by Gotta Get Baked
- Italian Tomato Tart by She likes ruffles, he likes truffles
- Impossible cheeseburger pie by In the Kitchen with KP
- 10 Grain Muffins by Mangiamo!
- Deep Dish Caramel Apple Pie by Mama Mommy Mom
- Date Crumb Pie by girlichef
- Gluten-Free Carrot Cake Doughnuts by What Smells So Good?