In another lifetime, I didn’t work at home. When I was a commuter, I usually ate lunch on-the-go and it often wasn’t healthy. When I found out I had diabetes, this was one of many habits I worked hard to change.
A black bean burrito became one of my go-to, packable lunches. I put perfectly portioned black beans and salsa in small plastic containers and mozzarella in tiny plastic bags. In the morning, all I had to do was grab a tortilla plus one of each container and run out the door. At lunchtime, everything came together in less than 5 minutes.
When I learned that the theme for this week’s #SundaySupper was Dishes with 5 Ingredients or Less, I knew immediately what I’d be making. These black bean burritos also make a great, quick dinner when you don’t have time to cook or when you’ve just gotten home from a trip, you don’t have much in the refrigerator and you’re sick of eating out.
If my salsa has been refrigerated, I add it before I heat these up. If my salsa is at room temperature, I add it afterwards.
Feel free to substitute other beans, corn tortillas, different cheese or another sauce. This foolproof recipe is extremely versatile. You could also provide lots of different ingredients and let everyone in the family make their own unique burrito.
Quick Black Bean Burritos
Adapted from No-Fuss Diabetic Recipes for 1 or 2 by Jackie Boucher, Marcia Hayes and Jane Stephenson
Two 8-inch flour tortillas
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup salsa
Place tortillas side by side on cutting board or clean counter. Place half of beans in a line down the center of each tortilla and place cheese on top of beans.
Roll up the tortillas and place on microwave-safe plate seam-side down. Top with salsa. Microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese has begun to melt and beans are warm.
Makes 2 servings
Per serving: 350 calories, 9g fat (4g sat), 15mg cholesterol, 514mg sodium, 50g carb, 9g fiber, 18g protein
Nutritional Analysis: This burrito is loaded with fiber. The amount of sodium is pretty much dependent on the salsa you use. If you are watching your sodium intake, you might want to make your own salsa so you can control the amount of salt.
The #SundaySupper gang will be sharing recipes that use 5 ingredients or less all afternoon on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram on Sunday, September 30, 2012. We will also have a live chat at 7 p.m. EST on Twitter and will be using the hashtag #SundaySupper. We look forward to answering questions, giving tips and inspiring you to spend more time Around the Family Table with those you love! Thanks to Amber of Mama’s Blissful Bites for hosting this event.
Breakfast, Starters, Butters and Jams
- Pa Jun or Korean Scallion Pancakes – Kimchi Mom
- Homemade Instant Oatmeal – Home Cooking Memories
- GlutenFree Apricot Bacon Onion and Cheese Spread or Dip – Cooking Underwriter
- Caprese Bites – My Catholic Kitchen
- So Simple Pizza Puffs – Hip Foodie Mom
- Toast Topper #11: Allspice Peach Butter – What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Balsamic Jam – The Messy Baker Blog
- Broccoli and Feta Frittata – Kwistin’s Favorites
- Fresh Basil and Tomato Pasta – I Run For Wine
- Gulasch – Galactosemia in PDX
- Spaghetti with Kale and Sausage – Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Appley Kielbasa – The Meltaways
- Shrimp Stuffed Potatoes – Juanita’s Cocina
- Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches – Supper for a Steal
- Sun Dried Tomato and Sausage Pasta – Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Pork Loin with Port Shallot Sauce – Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Chipotle Honey Lime Pork Tenderloin – Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Crockpot Chicken Tacos – The Hand That Rocks The Ladle
- Roasted Shrimp With Chili-Lime Sauce – Magnolia Days
- Peanut Butter Noodles – In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Soy, Orange Juice and Red Wine Marinated Flank – That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Beef Tenderloin with Stilton Pecan Butter – Noshing With The Nolands
- Herbed Butter Pork Chops – Brie’s Bites
- Creamy Ham Linguine – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Pesto, Tomato & Feta Pizza – Momma’s Meals
- Quick Black Bean Burritos – Diabetic Foodie
- Lumachine with Fresh Parmesan and Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce – Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Stuffed Shells – Cravings of a Lunatic
- Potato Kugel – From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Garlic Butter Fried Rice – My Trials in the Kitchen
- Goat Cheese Alfredo – Family Foodie
- Roasted Moroccan Rack of Lamb – Maroc Mama
- Sweet and Nutty Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes – Mama.Mommy.Mom.
- Baked Sweet Potato with Maple-Jalapeno – Comfy Cuisine
- Freezable Bacon Egg and Cheese Sandwiches – Big Bear’s Wife
- Grilled Polenta Cakes – Lovely Pantry
- Nutella Ice Cream – Shockingly Delicious
- Fresh Mint Ice Cream with Mint M&M’s – The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Grilled Mango Parfait with Greek Yogurt & Silvered Almonds – Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Honey Macaroons – Pippis In the Kitchen Again
- Strawberry Frozen Yogurt – Damn Delicious
- Homemade Caramel Sauce – Chocolate Moosey
- Easy Chocolate Chilli Fudge – Soni’s Food for Thought
- White-Chocolate Raspberry Puff Pastry Doughnuts – The Weekend Gourmet
- Easy No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars – In The Kitchen With KP
- Chocolate-Caramel Ice Cream – Basic N Delicious
- Pumpkin and Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake – Baker Street
- Peanut Butter Cup Popcorn – Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Five Most Food Friendly Wines – ENOFYLZ Wine Blog