Looking for an interesting meatloaf recipe that doesn’t use ground beef or pork? Try this Chicken Apple Meatloaf served with a tarragon-infused tomato sauce.
My former co-worker Spike, fun in that good “Keep Austin Weird” kind of way, taught me many things. He taught me a dance called The Pencil Sharpener just in time for our annual holiday party. He taught me that you could shop for furniture curbside. One of his prized possessions was a fuzzy pink sofa he got for free. And he taught me that something called Pickapeppa Sauce slathered on top of cream cheese makes a fabulous quick appetizer when served with crackers. I can’t use Pickapeppa Sauce without thinking of Spike.
For #SundaySupper‘s apple theme this week, I decided to try a Chicken Apple Meatloaf glazed with Pickapeppa Sauce and served with a Tarragon Tomato Sauce that’s been beefed up with demi-glace. You’ll find Pickapeppa Sauce near the worcestershire sauce in your grocery store. Containing tomatoes, onion, vinegar, mangoes, raisins, garlic, sugar, and cloves, it packs a tangy punch. Once you try it on top of meatloaf, you’ll never use ketchup again.
This chicken apple meatloaf is a little bit drier than most, but you won’t even notice because of the rich tomatoey sauce that’s served with it. The dried apples lend sweetness and the poblano peppers give a tiny bit of kick. Feel free to substitute jalapeños if you want more heat.
Tarragon is one of those herbs that that can completely overpower a dish if you use too much. Think of the flavor in a black jelly bean and plan accordingly. Used in moderation and combined with tomatoes and demi-glace, however, tarragon makes the perfect sauce for this chicken apple meatloaf.
This recipe comes from the Tupelo Honey Café Cookbook (affiliate link). If you are ever in Asheville, North Carolina, don’t miss the modern Southern cooking at this restaurant.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced sweet onion, such as Vidalia (about 1 large onion)
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 egg or ¼ cup egg substitute
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 (5 ounce) package dried apples, diced
- 1 poblano pepper (4-5 inches long), seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons Pickapeppa Sauce
- Tarragon Tomato Sauce (recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Sauté the celery and onion until onion is just translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, egg, panko, apples, poblano peppers, salt, pepper and onion/celery mixture. Mix gently and form into a loaf shape. Place in a baking dish just large enough to hold the loaf. (I used an 11- x 7-inch baking dish.)
- Bake, uncovered, for about 30 minutes, then spread the Pickapeppa sauce over the top of the loaf and bake until the internal temperature is 160°F, about 30 more minutes. Remove from oven, let rest 5 to 10 minutes, then slice. Serve with Tarragon Tomato Sauce.
- ½ cup demi-glace
- 1 (14 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the demi-glace, tomatoes, tarragon and salt.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer until mixture thickens, about 20 minutes. Break up chunks of tomato as they soften. Add pepper just before serving.
The #SundaySupper gang will be sharing apple recipes all afternoon on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram on Sunday, September 23, 2012. We will also have a live chat at 7 p.m. EST on Twitter and will be using the hashtag #SundaySupper. We look forward to answering questions, giving tips and inspiring you to spend more time Around the Family Table with those you love! Thanks to Cindy of Cindy’s Recipes and Writings for hosting this event.
Soups, Salads, Starters and Breads
- Cinnamon Apple Chips – Shockingly Delicious
- Apple Celery Salad – In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene
- Mini Apple Pumpkin Pancakes – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Overnight Apple Cinnamon French Toast – In the Kitchen with KP
- Curried Apple and Leek Soup – Soni’s Food for Thought
- Endive Spears Topped With Apple, Blue Cheese and Hazelnut Salad – The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Homemade Apple Jam – My Trials in the Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Butter Cheesecake Dip – Chocolate Moosey
- Caramel Apple Bread – famfriendsfood
- Apple Pie Bread – Baker Street
- Apple, Bacon & Brie Popovers – I Run for Wine
- Apple and Almond Brie Puff Pastry – Family Foodie
- Apple, Leek and Gruyere Tarts – There and Back Again
- Slow Cooker Honey Apple Pork Loin – The Meltaways
- Apple-Glazed Meatballs – The Messy Baker
- Apples & Buttons (Ham, Apples and Dumplings) – Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Skillet Pork with Sweet Spiced Apples – Mama Mommy Mom
- Chicken Apple Meatloaf with Tarragon Tomato Sauce – Diabetic Foodie
- Baked Tilapia Apple Crisp – Daddy Knows Less
- Pork Tenderloin with Calvados Cream Sauce – Sustainable Dad
- #SundaySupper Pulled Pork Sandwich With Pickled Red Onions – Kwistin’s Favorites
- Harvest Rice – Webicurean
- Wild Rice with Apples, Dried Cranberries, and Walnuts – Ruffles and Truffles
- Apple Topped Sweet Potato Mash – Momma’s Meals
- Warm Spice Pecan Raisin Apple Chutney – Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Double Apple Pot Pie – What Smells So Good?
- Apple Walnut Coffee Cake – The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Apple Streusel Cobbler – Big Bear’s Wife
- Apple & Moroccan Cinnamon Gooey Sticky Buns – Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Spiced Caramel Apple Pie – Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Apple Pear Kuchen for #SundaySupper (Apfel Birnen Kuchen) – Galactosemia in PDX
- Apple Strudel – Magnolia Days
- Old Fashioned Apple Crisp with Caramel Sauce – Noshing with the Nolands
- Apple Cheesecake – Vintage Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Crumble Bars – Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting – From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Cinnamon Apple Dessert Chimichangas – Juanita’s Cocina
- Nutella Apple Quesadilla- Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Apple Crisp Ice Cream – Cravings of a Lunatic
- Bavarian Apple Torte – The Lovely Pantry
- Streusel Apple Crumb Pie + Pie Freezer Kits – Meal Planning Magic
- French Apple Cobbler with Cinnamon-Maple Whipped Cream – Weekend Gourmet
- Chunky Apple-Apricot Bread Pudding – Comfy Cuisine
- Apple Butter Spice Cake – Home Cooking Memories
- Apple Pie and Custard – Happy Baking Days
- #GlutenFree Deep Dish Carmel Apple Pie – Cooking Underwriter
- Apple Brownies – That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Country Apple Dumplings – Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Apple-Gingersnap Cookies – Tora’s Real Food
- Apple and Cranberry Turnovers – Flour on my Face
- Applesauce Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake with Caramel Glaze – Hip Foodie Mom
- Caramel Frosted Apple Cookies – No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Apple and Pecans Cake – Basic N Delicious
- Apple Pull Apart Monkey Bread – Gotta Get Baked