During the Virtual Potluck project with SoCal Avocados, I so craved a salad with tomatoes and avocado. The only problem? Tomatoes in my local grocery store have absolutely no flavor at this time of year.
I decided to go for it anyway and picked out some plum tomatoes. They were amazingly good! We’re not talking peak-of-the-summer good, but they satisfied my craving.
To complement the tomatoes and avocado, I made a quick vinaigrette from some specialty oil and vinegar I had in the pantry. I used a strawberry balsamic and blood orange extra virgin olive oil. If you have trouble finding these ingredients, you can order them from Fiore or just use regular balsamic and EVOO instead. In the latter case, you might want to add a squeeze of fresh orange juice to your vinaigrette. If you can’t find fresh basil, substitute parsley or cilantro instead.
- 1 tablespoon strawberry or raspberry balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon blood orange extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 3 plum tomatoes, sliced
- ¼ medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh basil, cut into chiffonade
- 1 avocado, diced
- Whisk vinegar, oil, salt and pepper in small bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, onion and basil.
- Add half of dressing and toss to coat. Add avocados and remaining dressing and toss gently.
- Serve immediately or chill if planning to serve later.