Today, the One-Pot Blogging Party for Emeril Lagasse’s new cookbook, Sizzling Skillets and Other One-Pot Wonders, comes to an end. I hope you’ve enjoyed hearing about some of Emeril’s new recipes and learning how to adapt them to fit a diabetic-friendly, heart-healthy lifestyle.
Congratulations to the winners of our two giveaways. Erin Anderson of Baltimore, Maryland will receive a copy of the cookbook and Joan Sanger of Richmond, Virginia will receive a set of the Emeril – by zak! flame-shaped serving bowls. I hope both of you enjoy your prizes as much as I have. We’d love to hear from you when you try recipes or use the bowls.
Here’s a recap of the recipes I tried:
- Cajun Shrimp Stew
- Wok-Seared Duck Salad
- Baked Eggs with Corned Beef Hash
- Tuscan White Bean Soup with Broccoli Rabe
- Cheese Enchiladas with Smoky Red Chile Sauce and Slow-Cooked Pulled Pork
- Skillet Strata
- Eggplant Involtini
- Indian-Inspired Beef with Yogurt Sauce
- Grillades and Stone-Ground Grits
There are several trends I noticed when I was cooking from Sizzling Skillets.
- Emeril’s serving sizes are quite generous. If you want to make his dishes fit into your eating plan, start with reducing portion size.
- Read the recipe carefully well in advance of when you plan to make it, preferably the night before. You may need to soak beans overnight or allow dried chiles a couple of hours to rehydrate. Don’t expect to look at the recipe and then eat 30 minutes later.
- Allow yourself plenty of prep time. Vegetables need to be diced, garlic needs to be minced and herbs need to be chopped. Finish the prep work before you start cooking.
- Some of the recipes lack a “crunch factor” that I’ve come to love. You might want to consider serving side dishes that have some crunch.
- Most of the recipes are in a good place carb-wise, but tend to be high in sodium and saturated fat. I’ve tried to give you some ideas about how to cut back in these areas with each recipe.
I’ve enjoyed previewing the book and trying the recipes. It’s also been fun getting to know the other bloggers in the party:
- Bite and Booze
- Cajun Chef Ryan
- Cooking with Books
- Farmgirl Gourmet
- Food Hunter's Guide to Cuisine
- Groo-V Foody
- Just off the Red Streetcar Line
- Manges! Mangi!
- Miss in the Kitchen
- Mommy Hates Cooking
- Not Rachael Ray
- Savoring Today
- Tara the Foodie
- The Boys Made Me Do It
- The Wicked Noodle
- Thyme in Our Kitchen
- Tracey's Culinary Adventures
I’d like to send a big thanks to Emeril Lagasse and Morrow Cookbooks for giving me the opportunity to participate in this party. It was a blast! The cookbook is now on sale in your local bookstore or you can click one of the covers below to order online. Here’s the list of Emeril-related links one final time:
- A Sizzling Quiz with Chef Emeril Lagasse
- Emeril’s official website
- Emeril’s Facebook page
- Emeril’s Twitter page
- The Secret Ingredient’s (Morrow Cookbooks) blog
- The Secret Ingredient’s Facebook page
- The Secret Ingredient’s Twitter page
Buy from Indie Bookstores
Buy from Barnes & Noble
|Disclosure: For my participation in the One-Pot Blogger Cooking Party, I received a copy of Sizzling Skillets and Other One-Pot Wonders, a set of Emeril – by zak! Table Art 7-piece Flame-Shaped Serving Bowls and a jar of Emeril’s Original Essence. Upon successful completion of the party, I will receive a $50 grocery reimbursement and additional cookbooks by Emeril Lagasse. The top performing blogger, as selected by T-Fal, will also be awarded an Emeril by T-Fal Slow Cooker.|